Pages

Conquer the World

Conquer the World
"They that await upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles"

Sunday, July 31, 2011

I wanna be like...

Who did you look up to when you were growing up? Was it your Dad? Your big brother? Your favorite athlete? We all have people in our lives that we looked up to and tried to emulate in our lives. I have a couple of nephews that rotate through different super heroes and stars from their new favorite TV show. The little dudes came rushing back into my mind when I saw a post that my cousin had put on his facebook about how a man who wrote a book about how superheroes really can be great role models (Check it out if you'd like).  Though I never really got into the whole superhero thing, I to have people I looked up to.

Who is the best role model though? The One that if any person decided to follow, they would be guaranteed a better lifestyle, better qualities, and a better experience in their life? A scripture comes to mind to answer this question: 
"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:"(1 Peter 2:21)

Jesus Christ was sent to this Earth to be that example for each and everyone of us. I recently found a link in the scriptures of where he tell us pretty plainly that we are to be like Him, and act like it. The first was in Matthew where Christ tells us that we are the 'light of the world'.
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."
We are light in this world, and are meant to shine! There is someone else who is referred to as 'light' in the scriptures. Any guesses?
"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12)
So. Christ is the light, and so are we? Correct! Looks to me like we have some work to do! We can walk the steps that Jesus walked. Think of His mortal life--it was one of service. We can help others want to know Christ because they know us. People feel it, and can tell when there is a 'light in the darkness'. That can be you. That can be me. Our job is to be the best we can be, and that can be done through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is my super hero, I think I want to be more like him...

No comments: