Pages

Conquer the World

Conquer the World
"They that await upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles"

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

You're Best

The phrase 'the only constant in life is change' rings true to me yet again as I start over in a new area of Pennsylvania. This change however brought me much more responsibility and expectations. Over the last eighteen months, some of the people I have looked up to, and learned from the most, have been here doing what I am doing now. I see what they left behind and look forward to what I now have to do. Don't worry, you can say it out loud. I sure did--'Uh-Oh!'

 The first week went by so fast I don't even remember everything about it. Now that we have settled into a little more of what we will normally do, the weight of it all also settled in. It's game time and I am still trying to memorize the playbook!

It's a pretty good thing then that I have a pretty awesome guy by my side to keep my head on straight. My companion, Elder Winter, slipped me this quote:
"Don't worry about trying to be better than someone else. Learn from others, yes. But don't try to be better than they are. You have no control over that. Instead try, and try very hard to be the best that you can be." -John Wooden
 We really don't have to 'fill so-and-so's shoes' or leave our mark on whatever we do. We're there for a reason, now do everything you can do to be the best you that you can be. God doesn't put us in any situation that we can't handle, we just get really intimidated at the look of the challenge.

There is an invitation given to all of us that comes to mind that fits into this.
 "Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (see 3 Nephi 12:48 & Matthew 5:48)
 Now that is a big wall to climb. The same principle applies though! This life isn't a race, it's not a competition of me vs. you. We can accept and fulfill this invitation by simply trying our very best to be the best that we can become. That isn't always easy, because we grow through trials. I am thankful for the opportunity I now have to grow, and see what I can become. I have my situation in life, and you have yours. How have you grown from your current situation? Are you growing, today? Remember, God is there, and will help us along the way. 

No comments: